Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Relief Sculpture Plates with Under Glazes


     Here are some of our finished relief sculpture plates that I wrote about in-progress here.  We finished them by first painting a thin coat of white glaze on the bisqued plate, then painting under glazes for the color, and then I dipped them into a bucket of clear glaze before the final firing.  This is my spin on the Majolica technique.  The plates can be more functional (lots of kids made cookie plates for Santa) with that solid coat of clear glaze over the whole surface.  You could probably get a similar result with watered down Stroke & Coat glazes instead of using the under glazes.  I would still dip them into clear glaze before doing the final firing. The kids absolutely loved this project and I think it will probably become an annual project!









No comments: